This weekend sees the official switching on of the Christmas lights (!) which takes place on the Royal Mile this year. Parking is suspended on Victoria Street from 9am-6.30pm on Sunday 17th, with many other surrounding roads affected too (the main event takes place between 3.30pm and 5pm on Sunday). If you need vehicle access on Sunday, you may wish to contact Underbelly (the organisers) on 0131 510 0395 for information, or email enquiries [at] underbelly.co.uk. There is also information at www.edinburghschristmas.com
Central Edinburgh Quaker Meeting
We are lively, large Quaker Meeting. We strive to be an All-age worshipping community, with monthly All-age Worship and regular children's activities. We welcome many visitors each week, both from Edinburgh and from around the world.
You are welcome to join us and experience Quaker Meetings for Worship on:
- Sunday at 9.30-10.15am (small quiet meeting); 11am (main meeting), followed by tea, coffee and a lunch of soup, bread and cheese.
- All Age meeting is held at 11am on the 1st Sunday of every month and we have sessions for children and young people on the 3rd and (where there is one) the 5th Sundays of the month. Read more about children's activities.
- Midweek Meeting on Wednesdays at 12.30-1pm, followed by a light lunch.
- Morning Meeting on Mondays and Fridays at 8-8.30am.
- A half-hour meeting held by Edinburgh Young Quakers on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6.30pm, followed by cake and a chat.
There are sometimes changes to children's sessions, Midweek Meeting, and Young Quakers' Meeting on holidays and during the Fringe in August, so please check this page for details.
Central Edinburgh Quaker Meeting worships in the Edinburgh Quaker Meeting House; there are separate contact details for the Quaker Meeting and the Meeting House:
- To hire a room in Edinburgh Quaker Meeting House please go to the room hire website or contact the Meeting House managers by email (office [at] equaker.org.uk) or phone (0131 225 4825).
- To contact Central Edinburgh Quaker Meeting please email the clerking team at centraledinburgh [at] quaker.org.uk or leave a message in the Meeting House on 0131 225 4825.
- To contact Edinburgh Young Quakers please use the Edinburgh Young Quakers Facebook page.
We meet in the Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town. This fine building was built in 1865 and purchased by the South East Scotland Area Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in 1987, and has been made fully wheelchair-accessible.
The building is open and staffed throughout the week. Please feel free to call in to learn more about Quakerism, or just to have a period of peace and quiet reflection over a cup of coffee or tea in the entrance foyer.library is open on Sundays and may be consulted during the the week by arrangment.
Rooms can be hired by groups at all times that they are not in use by the local Quaker community; please read more on the room hire website or phone 0131-225 4825.
Every August the building is used as Venue 40 of the Festival Fringe. There are performances by theatre groups from around the world, concerts and a tea room with home baking. Profits earned during the Festival period are passed on to charities. Read more on the Venue 40 website.
Our wider Quaker Community
We are part of:
- South East Scotland Area Meeting, which is responsible for many aspects of our spiritual life, such as Weddings and Funerals, and is the legal body responsible for the building and employing the Meeting House staff.
- General Meeting for Scotland, which brings together Quakers throughout Scotland, representing our concerns particularly in the Scottish Parliament.
- Britain Yearly Meeting, which brings together all Quakers in Great Britain and carries out work to support the Society of Friends and works in Britain and throughout the world on Quaker concerns such as peace-building and bringing about a more just and equitable society.
If you are attending regularly, please ask after a Meeting for Worship if you would like to have an overseer, join our email announcement list and receive Terrace Talk, our newsletter, by email.